You want skin that looks firm and dewy. We get it, so we’re sharing our expert tips for radiant and glowing skin. It’s actually very simple. It comes down to two things: prevent and preserve.
At age 25, your body begins to lose 1% of its total collagen every year. By 45, your body stops producing collagen altogether. That means duller, lifeless skin, volume loss under the eyes and cheeks, and you will see more fine lines and wrinkles from crow’s feet to fine lines on the cheeks and forehead.
How to Keep Your Skin Radiant and Glowing
While we cannot promise the skin of your youth, we can promise you can keep your skin looking radiant as you age. We sat down with our very own Dr. Amanda Reiswig and asked her to share her tips for radiant and glowing skin.
Dr. Reiswig says, “Clients often come in wanting to look 20 years younger. There really are not treatments that do this, even surgical options are not that drastic, ultimately the best results come down to prevention and preservation of the skin you have, starting in your 20s and 30s. You want to keep the skin healthy at the dermal layer so that as you age, your body continues to produce healthy collagen that maintains its elasticity and radiance.”
Prevention is Key to Radiant and Glowing Skin
Dr. Reiswig says, “The dermis contains the cells which are the starting point for healthy skin. If your cells are compromised by years of environmental exposure, your body will not produce quality products (i.e. collagen and elastin). Damaged skin takes shape in the form of fine lines, wrinkles, dullness, and sagging, leathery skin; especially, when it is sun-damaged.”
There are some simple things you can do to prevent this from happening.
- Wear Sunscreen—We know you’ve heard it a million times, but this is the easiest way to keep skin radiant as you age. 80% of aging comes from sun damage. If you wear sunscreen every day, it protects skin from UVA and UVB sun rays that damage skin cells leading to an increase in collagen loss, fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Start early—Skincare regimens should start before you begin to see visible signs of aging. From a non-invasive Hydrafacial to a Microneedling treatment, it is never too early to care for your skin and keep skin cells healthy to slow collagen loss down.
- Use Medical Grade skincare products—We do not tell you this just because we sell them, we tell you this because they are backed by clinical research, they use the best quality ingredients and the highest percentage of those ingredients available. Overall, they also cost less because you will use less of them to achieve the results you want. The ingredients in medical-grade skincare products are targeted to address specific skin concerns. A Retinol product, used 3-4 times a week keeps skin continuously turning over. A Glycolic cleanser or glycolic lotion will get gently exfoliate deal skin cells and give you a glow. Using a Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin C product will hydrate and brighten skin.
- Mix It Up—Your skin is constantly changing and so should your skincare regimen. From environmental factors, the weather, stress, and hormones, skin changes based on what is going on with your body internally and due to external factors beyond your control. You may need a thicker moisturizer one day and a glycolic cleanser the next. Keep your skin on its toes.
How to Prevent, Preserve and Stimulate Collagen for Radiant Skin
- Regular facials not only help prevent aging, but they are one of the best ways to increase skin cell turnover which means the skin continuously works to get rid of unhealthy skin cells and bring healthier skin to the surface. You’ll see immediate results and a healthy glow with no downtime.
- Chemical Peels help to slow the aging process down and preserve the healthy skin you have. They are able to penetrate deep into the skin to help get rid of damaged skin cells, diminish hyperpigmentation and melasma, and improve the texture of the skin, along with controlling adult acne, which can lead to enlarged pores and damaged skin. Downtime is minimal and skin is significantly improved quickly to reveal new, healthier, glowing skin. Regular chemical peels, like a ViPeel 3-4 times a year will ensure radiant skin and even tone.
- Microneedling made a big splash with Kim Kardashian, and with good reason. Microneedling uses tiny, microneedles to penetrate down into the surface, creating micro-injuries, which forces the skin to heal, bringing new skin to the surface. This stimulates collagen production and works to improve the skin texture. This is one of the best ways to improve overall skin quality and give skin a healthy glow—no matter how old you are.
- Radiofrequency treatments combined with Microneedling like Scarlet Radiofrequency Microneedling have become one of the newest and best ways to lift and tighten skin, while also helping to reduce large pores, and improve acne scarring. Scarlet Radiofrequency Microneedling uses heat to penetrate into the dermal layer, increasing cell turnover and collagen production. Different than traditional Microneedling, this treatment is geared at improving skin elasticity to fight the visible signs of aging, and decrease the appearance of wrinkles. This treatment is a key to ensuring your skin looks more radiant as you age.
- If you have existing sun damage, and we all do, the skin tone is uneven, and starting to look weathered, the Forever Young BBL Photofacial Treatment lifts sun damage, age spots, and also gets rid of unhealthy skin cells. Different that IPL, BBL stands for Broad Band Light and is the only device that is proven to remove sun damage at the dermal layer allowing the skin to regenerate, new, healthy skin, and stimulate the production of new collagen. BBL reverses the aging process allowing cells to function as they did in our 20s. Skin will look brighter and more radiant, and the overall tone of the skin will be improved.
Book a Consult
There are many treatments available. If you have specific concerns, give us a call to schedule a free virtual consultation with one of our aestheticians: 414.479.0113. Skincare is personal and we always recommend a customized plan based on your skin type, age, and concern.